Our curriculum is planned with the intent to:
- Provide all students with a broad and balanced curriculum throughout their learning journey at The Brakenhale School including following the English Baccalaureate pathway where appropriate.
- Adhere to, or go beyond, the National Curriculum in most subjects to ensure greater depth and breadth in learning.
- Enable all students to build and learn new knowledge and skills on their prior knowledge; thus allowing students to develop deep learning of knowledge and skills.
- Provide students with engaging lessons taught by highly skilled expert teachers with opportunities for experiences beyond the classroom.
- Allow students to learn from mistakes, using assessment at the most appropriate time to identify and address gaps in knowledge.
- Achieve the highest possible results in national tests.
- Prepare students for the next phase of their education or employment and life in modern Britain, taking account of pupils’ aspirations, the local, national and global job markets.
- Develop students’ characters and add to their cultural capital through Brakenhale’s character education programme.
- Ensure diversity is celebrated to ensure all students feel welcomed, supported and valued in the school community.
- Develop an array of reading strategies to advance literacy skills and access texts at all levels.
The Key Stage 3 curriculum focuses on giving every child the widest possible experience across a wide range of subjects. These include the arts, languages, humanities, PE and technical subjects whilst maintaining a strong focus on the core subjects of English, mathematics and science.
In Key Stage 4 the curriculum is a mixture of both core and optional subjects and is structured to allow for maximum flexibility of choice. Students can study a wide variety of courses from the arts, humanities, languages, sport and much more.
In Key Stage 5 the curriculum allows students to study a broad range of both academic and vocational qualifications dependent on their results at GCSE. Students study between 3 to 4 A-Level or equivalent qualifications. Students can undertake courses in a variety of subjects such as business studies, geography, mathematics to Btec dance.
Should you have any questions about the curriculum please do not hesitate to contact Mr R Corry: email@example.com